Focus for 2021



Coming into a CoL position in Term 2 leaves you feeling a little behind the 8 ball.

Fortuitously, I did have a fascination, a question... so to speak, which I wanted to investigate further.

Why is my use of 'Process Drama' not showing a perceived shift in Reading similar to that in Writing when studies have shown increases in 'Literacy' across the board?

My question has collided this year with our in-school Professional Growth Cycle and also the Manaiakalani Cluster wide Inquiry into Reading. Although we can see shift both in school and throughout the Cluster the rate is slowing over time, particularly in Yrs 7-10. 

Is there something I am omitting during my teaching of process drama or is the data collection not illuminating the full story? Are we assessing Reading Age through the lens of prescribed testing method which doesn't take into consideration transference of inference or comprehension beyond the testing platform... which may not reflect the students present lived experience or capability as a reader. 

And so my planning begins... with the aim to show a shift in reading throughout the class, but more specifically for a group who are making little progress as they proceed up the school.

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies for Hitler

Follow up activity