Reading Now and into the Future...

 


Relevant Aspects of My Current Reading Program

Looking at my current practice, under a Reading lens... I have 4 groups with reading ages ranging from
9-13+ years. Each group has an assigned levelled Journal / reader which is accompanied by Slides made specifically for that text. The Slides include a variety of comprehension questions, word work, research areas and a create aspect where information and understanding is artistically expressed ready to be Blogged. During the week I see each group at least twice at an instructional level, not including on the spot discussion and check-ins. The main component of instruction is comprehension and understanding of the text.

Interspersed with Group Reading there is usually a Newspaper article from current events that we break down as a whole class. This includes: unpacking any technical language, discussion points and answering a variety of question types. This is also linked, in discussion, to how it relates to each student and their prior knowledge.

There is also Reading that occurs during other curriculum areas most importantly during RE where Scripture is broken down, discussed, integrated and understanding transferred into both historic and current world events.  

Challenge
My challenge this year is to improve the Reading Age of those students Reading Below and Well Below by developing their comprehension at the Inferential and Evaluative level with an added outcome of also improving Critical Literacy skills. 




Students lacking in Inferential and Evaluative skills...This is not a new story! Considered to be on the TOP for most educators.

Over the past two years Process Drama has been an important part of our class program, slid into the day as a way to build / improve literacy and wellbeing. It was also used fully over a two week period after each Lockdown, where all devices were dropped and relationships reborn. We not only noticed a significant improvement in vocab and structure specifically in writing but also inferential discussion and questioning during certain conventions in Drama.

My focus now, will be on how I can change my pedagogy to disperse the conventions of Process Drama appropriately throughout a text enabling a rich experience which builds not only on character and vocabulary development but also on the visual awareness of setting and context. In short, to enhance Critical Literacy skills.

By altering my pedagogy around the delivery of reading can I make significant changes in these areas? 

Do I move away dropping even my 'useful efficiencies' in Reading, unlearn to relearn enabling me to decide what I need to abandon or just modify? 

Approach...what could this look like?

Planning Changes
The importance of maintaining a level of rich texts will remain. 
I will then thoroughly examine each text and decide which Drama conventions would fit into which parts of each text to ensure the correct sequence for understanding, questioning and vocabulary can be developed. There will be Whole Class text experience but also Group Initiatives where different conventions will be used to develop experts who report back to the whole class. Group Initiatives comes out of my concern that I must continue to push my accomplished readers making sure they are stretched and working independently on personal research or other objectives. 

Instructional Lessons 
When using Process Drama within a lesson I need to make sure I have an understanding of each convention, where it fits and maintaining my role making sure it is delivered with clarity and the appropriate questioning. Remembering, my students are 'Reading to Learn.'
Evidence created from conventions, along with vocabulary development must be visible for the students to enable easy access supporting all areas of literacy. I also need to continue my own personal journey understanding the tools available by referring to Te Rito Toi and other sources like Mitewhere new resources and ideas are constantly being uploaded.

PAT/Probe/Rubrik assessment
Using these assessment tools throughout my Inquiry will allow me to make sure correct comparisons have been made in a structured manner. I also need to make use of all anecdotal notes including voice recordings made of appropriate conventions noting improvement in vocab used and questions asked, student to student, during the process. 

Student Voice
As part of my overall practice student voice is extremely important. I will continue to ask for opinions, concerns and advice on conventions being used. I also need to notice and make sure the texts used are not only appropriately and also engaging. This can be done by visual observation of the class.

Continual Focus

  • Ensure literature is rich and able to be used to its fullest advantage whether Fiction or Non Fiction. 
  • Link text and create multi modal platforms where possible. 
  • Link, transfer and integrate understanding and knowledge into other curriculum areas.
  • Monitor, observe and audio record with the view to alter intervention if necessary.
  • Consider student voice when making text and group decisions.
  • Strengthen my own understanding of Process Drama by continual contact with researchers, Professors at the University of Auckland and through Te Rito Toi and Mitey.  
  • Gather accurate data mid Inquiry for comparison and update of intervention.
  • Gather spontaneous data from audio recording and anecdotal notes to support results.
  • Continue working in close proximity with TA supporting those well below students.
  

                                                                Image From: Te Rito Toi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies for Hitler

Follow up activity